Full Time - Mid-Level (Senior Producer, Reporter, Editor)
4 Year Degree
WFAE, an award-winning public media news organization, seeks a digital news and engagement editor to join our team.
We are looking for an experienced editor who is excited about creating platform-specific news experiences across our distribution channels, with an emphasis on social media platforms. The successful candidate also must champion the voice of the community in our news conversations -- among other things that means providing insight and guidance based on what we are learning through our community listening tools and engagement.
The editor also will be responsible for writing, producing and editing breaking news stories; building newsletters; and creating engagement opportunities for our community members online and in person.
You will be working with a team of journalists and other media professionals who are passionate about creating journalism that informs, enriches and inspires our local community. We work hard, have lots of fun and support each other in reaching our goals.
This position may include evening and weekend shifts. This job is located in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Updating social media platforms and WFAE.org
- Reporting, writing, curating or creating daily news content, interactives and multimedia content
- Working with reporters to create digital content packages
- Creating daily newsletters
- Crafting daily news budgets
- Contributing to programming, such as Morning Edition, All Things Considered, daily newscasts and podcasts
- Utilizing listening tools to create content
- Developing online news packages and sections
- Assisting with community engagement initiatives
- Light photo, video and audio editing
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience promoting content and engaging audiences through social and other online platforms
- Strong news judgment
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines
- Adept at working with a variety of publishing and editing tools
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience working with content management systems
- Strong project management skills
WFAE is a community-licensed public radio station that has served the Charlotte region for more than 35 years. Our newsroom has won 19 regional Edward R. Murrow Awards in the last four years, two national Murrow Awards in the last three years and a slew of other honors for our broadcast and digital work. Our work is routinely carried on national radio programs such as “Morning Edition,” “All Things Considered” and “Marketplace.”
WFAE is a fast-paced news organization offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for challenges. We offer a generous benefit package and competitive compensation.
Our corporate values are important to us. At WFAE, we strive to:
- To foster and embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplace and in the journalism we produce.
- Exemplify the highest levels of integrity and public trust.
- Serve as a national and industry model of journalistic excellence.
- Be doggedly committed to telling great stories and serving the public.
- Succeed through teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Include diverse people, voices, thoughts and perspectives at every level of our work.
- Value and reward creativity, curiosity and humor.
- Be bold and take risks in service to journalism and our mission.
- Enter every room with a spirit of generosity and gratitude.